What exactly is NukkitX?

the.big.lebouch

Okay, before I begin clarifying my question, I want to say that yes, I read the basic description about it being a nuclear powered MCPE server, but I've never used MCPE.

Years ago, I used to run a Minecraft beta server with bukkit that was fairly successful. I'm familiar with running servers and etc, but I don't know much about MCPE and Minecraft Bedrock.

I'm interested in setting up a server to just play with my kids on. They're old enough now that they enjoy the game and it is something we can bond over. We are all playing on the Nintendo Switch, which, from what I learned is Bedrock Edition. I've set up a Bedrock official alpha server and managed to use DNS to allow the switches to connect to it, but the official server, much like the original minecraft beta server lacks many features like grief protection, worldedit, and essential commands.

So, to get to the point: What are the differences between NukkitX and the Minecraft Bedrock official server alpha build? I can tell already that the majority of the plugins I'll miss are ported or recreated on here like worldedit and essentials (and that there is plugin support) but I can't tell from the wiki or the main page what the differences would be (for example, do MCPE worlds have limited sizes? I think I saw that there were issues with redstone and animals? Are there blocks/biomes/natural buildings that the official version would have that NukkitX wouldn't?)

Sleepybear

Staff member
with the current version of Nukkit (1.0) all blocks after the Aquatic update are not supported due to a level format limitation. The generator is not all that great either. Mob Spawning/AI is also not included, but you can use MobPlugin to restore that functionality. Lastly, Redstone is not implemented on the Master branch, you would need to use the redstone branch to add that support, which does not get updated as often as the Master branch.

Nukkit 2.0 will support the LevelDB format, but is still in Alpha stages, and contains many bugs right now.

the.big.lebouch

Thank you very much for your reply. While redstone isn't much of an issue with me, mob spawning would be an issue and I do have a bit of preference to the aquatic blocks.

I don't think that nukkit will be right for my situation. Despite that I really want plugins, I have to keep up with what my girls want the most.