Can't connect to the server using a VPN

BarbaAlGhul

So, I have setup a server that runs fine on my LAN, on an Ubuntu, but when it comes to expose it to the internet, it's not working.

My IPS is a Carrier-grade NAT type, so I can't expose my ports directly on my router, port forwarding is impossible for me (I called them and they would have to to this for me, but they won't... but in reality it's possible... anyway), so my workround was to use a VPN.

I created an account on Portmap.io and using OpenVPN, I can expose my computer to the internet. Huray! And actually this setup works on Pocketmine. But when it comes to Nukkit, it's really not working. It just show the message that Minecraft can't connect to the server (from the game) and on the server running terminal, there is nothing.

I would like to know if this solution is impossible or what should I do in this case.

Thanks.

SupremeMortal

Administrator
Staff member
It's because Bedrock uses UDP packets which can be split. I had a similar issue when using a VPN to test Nukkit with high latency. The workaround is to change some OpenVPN option but I can't remember what they are or where they come from, only that I searched for something to do with the "UDP MTU size".

EDIT: Try some of the options here: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=21857

BarbaAlGhul

It's because Bedrock uses UDP packets which can be split. I had a similar issue when using a VPN to test Nukkit with high latency. The workaround is to change some OpenVPN option but I can't remember what they are or where they come from, only that I searched for something to do with the "UDP MTU size".

EDIT: Try some of the options here: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=21857
Thanks for the direction!

I didn't have time to check this today but I will check it and if I'm successful, I will post the solution!

BarbaAlGhul

So, doing some tests and tuning, I couldn't get it to work.

As suggested, I looked over OVPN configs and using the parameters mssfix and tun-mtu I got some warnings from my VPN server while running, because they set their MTU at 1500 and I couldn't get it to work fine tuning my client side only. (and I don't have access to the server side config, since I'm using only a free account at Portmap.io)

But is there a way to tune these values at Nukkit server proprerties?